Sunday, April 6, 2008

The World of Music

Sorry, it's been a few days since a decent post... Ok, so it's been a
few weeks. It's been a huge few weeks though! Our Green T tour is going
great, and our new record (Hawk Nelson Is My Friend) came out this week!
It's been a long time coming and it's really awesome to be able to share
it with our friends... I'm hope you all love it.

I've been thinking a lot recently about the industry surrounding music.
Anyone who works in the music industry will agree that everything is
changing. The way music is made is changing... the way it is distributed
is changing... the way people find NEW music is changing. Myspace,
blogging, and the internet in general, has changed everything! Everyone
and everything is far more connected... This can be good and bad...
(People hearing about my band for the first time = good.... people
posting my wedding photos on youtube = bad) But ultimately everyone
needs to adjust to a new digital world. The music industry is no different.

I'm not trying to sound cold and insensitive... On the contrary, I have
friends that are no longer working in music because the industry has
contracted so much.... I'm just pondering on the future of music.... For
instance... I'm in the process of building a small home studio... Once I
get some time at home, I'll be able to write a song, record it, mix it,
master it, and put it up on this site... Where you can actually buy it,
and that revenue can help me build my studio... There is NO WAY that
kind of do-it-yourself infrastructure could have existed 10 years ago.

There are so many repercussions to all this, and I'm certain I can't
foresee them all... But I'm anxious to see where music is headed. I hope
that somehow this drastic shakeup can stir up some new inspiration in us
all... After all, most good ideas are born when old ones no longer
suffice...

No comments: