Sunday, October 12, 2008

Old Man Morning

I don't know when it happened. I think it was fairly recently, but I can't really pinpoint the moment it happened....

Nonetheless, I am now a morning person.

We've been home quite a bit the last few weeks, and I've been finding myself waking up at 7:30 or 8:00.... at first I stared at the ceiling for at least an hour before getting up, because I thought, "Surely I can't get up this early on a day off!" Eventually, however, I accepted my fate, and started getting up whenever my body wakes me up.

So, for the last few weeks, I've been getting up around 8am, making coffee, reading the news, taking Tilly for a walk... and just enjoying a quiet morning. Jess doesn't wake up til 10 or 11, so this means that I have several hours to myself every morning. I had no idea how much of an impact this would have on me. I'm happier, I feel healthier, and I feel less anxious when potentially stressful things happen.

Suddenly the mental picture of an "old man" starts to hit a lot closer to home. I picture myself in a rocking chair on a porch at 6am, wearing a bathrobe, sipping coffee and reading the morning paper. This doesn't seem so unrealistic now. Why do "old man" things seem so appealing to me? Bathrobes, cardigans, porches, rocking chairs, morning papers, and slippers... What is wrong with me?

Of course if I mention this to Jess, she's horrified. She's not ready for either of us to be old yet. She's a makeup artist, so to her, "older" means "more wrinkly", and that means it takes more work to get ready in the morning. Every once and a while I mention that a few lines give a face some character, and she generally responds with "Ugghhhh. I don't wanna be old."

Well... I think over time, I'm gonna get my way.

j.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

25 is not old.. Being healthy keeps you from looking and being old...

Anonymous said...

I feel so old and I'm only 17. Idk whats wrong with me! I do not want to get old :( It's weird being able to say "15 years ago". I'm probably going to be one of those old ladies that try to look "hip" *cringe* all the time :|

Kathy said...

haha...old man stuff...that acutally made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

haha. "a few lines give a face some character." that's funny. and you're not old.