Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cheers to Mr. Superfluous

So, Green Day performed on Conan last week, and something was odd about the performance.

(Yes, I know it was on last week and I'm late to the punch here... I know. I watched the performance today on NBC.com as I was scrolling through some of Conan's first-week guests. )

Here's the thing... aside from the song being pretty darn boring, "Do you know your enemy? No, Do you? Are you sure? Let me ask you again..." There was a guy on stage, off to the side of Mike Dirnt (bass player), who was just sort of singing background vocals...














Am I the only one who thinks this is totally random and bizarre? I mean, here you have a guy who's all glammed up in a leather jacket and guyliner, hair straighted, rocking the "singer stance"... as he's tucked into the back next to the bass cabinets. It's almost as if the band couldn't decide whether they wanted him singing on-stage, or off-stage... so they placed him in no-man's land.

Wait, does he kinda look like a glammed-up Jeremy Camp?!

In any case.... Cheers to you.... Mr. Superfluous.... You got to play Conan, and that's something I still haven't gotten to do yet.

Then again, when you show people the performance you will have to say...

"Wait for it............. THERE I AM! Ok wait..... OH THERE I AM! THAT'S ME!"

j.

11 comments:

ChrisBCrazy said...

lol a glammed up jeremy camp. it's a cross between jeremy camp and adam lambert? oh my.

Anonymous said...

Thats Green Day's other guitarist who pays sometimes lol

Kelly said...

I was wondering the exact same thing!! He looks so random just standing there..Haha and don't worry Jon, I too watch Conan on nbc.com on a regular basis :P

graciegirl said...

hahahaha i wouldnt have noticed him if you didnt say somethin. i thought he juss looked like a background songer and from the camera angle he looked far back....... :P

Ida Lou said...

nice jon! haha...

Dusty said...

I saw that too! I didn't see him til the end, and when I did, I started laughing. I found it hilarious. (He looks like a guy in one of my sisters old like Disney movies).
And I'm also glad you found the song boring also...everything I've heard from the new cd is boring.

Emma Bennet said...

haha that is pretty funny, oh well at least he got to play! lol

Nic said...

THANKS DUSTY!! I'm not alone on the the Green Day CD being very boring then! I listened to it and I was like wait.....it took them 3 or 4 years to release this piece of crap??! Um Hawk Nelson releases a CD at an average of a year and a half and I would say their CD's are 1000 times better than 21st Century Breakdown. The vocals are overly repetitive,(Do you know your enemy;21st Century Breakdown) just to name a couple. AND THE GUITAR RIFFS ARE ALL VERRRY SIMILAR OR IS IT JUST ME???
Alright I'm done just wanted to say that!

mich9fan3 said...

keen observation... for some reason i thought you'd be more busy with the summer festival season, but oh well. more power to you.

-Markus

christena said...

he looks EXACTLY like a glammed-up Jeremy Camp!!! and yeah, i don't listen to Green Day that much, but their old stuff is obviously a lot better than the new stuff.

Unknown said...

It's like Joey on FRIENDS...when he was in that, um, video...."There I am...There I am...There I am..."
I mean c'mon! "Thats bad for the paper tray"